Authors: Amanda Bennett, Kevin Carpenter, Rob Wilson
ISBN 9781860727658 | Publishing May 2019
Proper and robust governance is now a baseline expectation of stakeholders and is vital for an organisation to be fit for the future. The need for good governance is well-known, yet sports organisations have exhibited many chronic failures in this regard.
The Sports Governance Handbook is a practical and accessible resource which combines important governance theory with the practical application of such in sports organisations. It explains the main principles, explores challenges facing the sector and looks at developing areas from finance and funding to ethics and culture.
Equipping readers with the knowledge and key skills necessary to succeed in roles with governance responsibilities across the Sports sector, this book is an invaluable resource for anyone involved in a sport’s governing body, league or club.
1. General principles of sports governance
2. Approaches to sports governance
3. Governance and business challenges in sport
4. Governance structures
5. Roles and responsibilities
6. Conflicts of interest
7. Managing risks
8. Integrity, ethics and culture
9. Compliance and legislation
10. Funding and other sources of income
12. Preparing for and conducting meetings
13. Advanced stakeholder engagement