Non-executive directors have a range of roles and responsibilities to fulfil within an NHS foundation trust. This brief overview of the legal, strategic and governance roles non-executive directors have to play can be used as the basis for drafting job descriptions within such NHS organisations.
Some of the core responsibilities of the the NED encompass:
- Establishing clear objectives to deliver the agreed plans and strategy and regularly review performance against those objectives
- Ensuring the effective implementation of board of director decisions by the chief executive and the senior management team
- Ensuring the long term sustainability of the foundation trust
- Analysing and contributing positively to the strategic development of long term healthcare plans for the community
- Ensuring that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and that the board is kept fully informed through timely and relevant information
- Promoting the highest standards of corporate and clinical governance in compliance with the NHS Foundation Trust Code of Governance.
Available to members only
Log in to access resource