Assistant Company Secretary
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
To be responsible for coordination and completion of all company secretarial duties for our suite of circa 100 investment special-purpose-vehicles (“SPVs”), as well as provision of company secretariat support to other decision making bodies within our corporate governance framework.
- Enhancing and maintaining the SPV governance framework and associated procedures
- Advising and implementing best practice for SPV governance
- Acting as the representative of the Governance and Co Sec team for SPVs within the business and with external providers
- Assisting in the incorporation/registration of new entities; for overseas entities, liaise with Legal Department and/or lawyers and/or company secretarial providers in the relevant jurisdiction
- Maintenance of statutory documentation/files and Blueprint database records
- Organising and arranging subsidiaries board meetings as required and devise a comprehensive yearly timetable as appropriate
- Preparing and drafting subsidiaries board minutes and shareholder resolutions for both ad hoc and routine matters
- Attending subsidiaries board/committee meetings as required and fulfilling all company secretarial responsibilities
- Preparing the statutory returns or overseeing compliance by company secretarial providers in the relevant jurisdiction
- Assisting in the preparation of statutory accounts as required ensuring proper process for approvals
- Implementing and maintaining delegation schedules for all SPV entities;
- Ensuring compliance with the Companies Act and regulatory requirements for relevant companies and directors;
- Implementing and coordinating the director training programme for SPV directors;
- Overseeing relationships with third party company secretarial providers and perform due diligence of those providers, as appropriate
- Providing company secretarial support to some of the committees of our two main entities (Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited) and other stakeholder bodies
- Assisting with board effectiveness reviews, director appraisal process and director training programme
- Assisting in governance projects, as required
- Assisting the team with the coordination and preparation of board packs for the meetings of our main entities’ board and committee meetings.
- Advice and practical guidance on delegations, authorities and decision making procedures (including governance of significant investments);
- Assisting with oversight of training offered to senior management;
- Working with the rest of the team to maintain the USS contractual documentation library and registry and share certificate registry;
- Building and sharing best practice knowledge and working closely with both the Legal team and other USS colleagues.
- Qualified company secretary, lawyer or accountant. At least 5 years’ previous financial services experience in a private or public company.
- Experience of SPVs / managing a mixed portfolio of companies across multiple jurisdictions.
- Experience of governance frameworks.
- Strong organisational skills with an ability to produce work to tight deadlines with attention to detail.
- Investment Management
- Experience of operating at board level (or equivalent) in a regulated firm and managing key relationships with relevant regulators
We are an equal opportunities employer
...or go back to search results.