Non-Executive Director at AQUILA:Diocese of Canterbury Academy
This is an opportunity to contribute to the community within Kent by becoming an Academy Ambassador at Aquila: Diocese of Canterbury Academy Trust. Board meetings are held at CT19 4RH when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Aquila (Diocese of Canterbury Academy Trust) oversees 13 primary schools in Kent comprising of 13 primary schools, 3,968 pupils, 620 staff and a budget of £15m. The trust has a number of schools with challenging cohorts with Free School Meal (FSM) recipients ranging from 10.4% up to 31% and the number of pupils with Special Education Needs (SEN) above the national average. Out of the 13 primary schools, three schools are Ofsted rated Outstanding, six are rated Good, one is rated Requires Improvement and three have not yet been inspected. The trust aims to promote excellence across all its schools, underpinned by Christian values and welcoming pupils of all faiths and none.
The board seeks three business leaders with board level experience in
- human resources or
- finance at CFO level or
- primary education executive leadership
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- Education - closing the gaps in learning resulting from Covid-19
- Pupil and staff wellbeing focusing on most vulnerable students and short
- Implementation of finance and human resources integrated service providing payroll services.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours' time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.