Non-Executive Directors at Swale Academies Trust
Swale Academies Trust in Kent seeks two non-executives/directors with CFO/finance, secondary education leadership or corporate or charity governance experience to join its board. Board meetings are held at Sittingbourne ME10 4NL when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Swale Academies Trust is a large multi academy trust composed of 17 schools (10 primary schools and 7 secondary schools) with a total cohort of 11,000 students located in challenging and/or deprived contexts in Kent and East Sussex. The trust has a proven track record of taking on and supporting underperforming schools through strong executive leadership to introduce and maintain a positive impact on behaviour, standards and outcomes. All the schools within the trust are Ofsted rated at least Good, except for one school which is newly converted and Requires Improvement.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in
- finance at CFO level (with accountancy qualifications) or
- secondary education leadership or
- audit/risk or
- corporate/charity governance
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- School improvement- supporting schools to drive and maintain high standards
- Further develop efficient Trust support services provision
- Ensure efficiency and effectiveness of trust leadership and ensure succession planning put in place
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours' time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.