Head of Governance and Assurance
Location: Remotely while offices are closed, then expected travel to our London and Chesterfield offices
Hours: 35 hours, full-time
Salary: £61,000pa (London), £58,000pa (Rest of UK) pro rata if applicable
Contract type: Permanent
Closing date: 12:00 (mid-day) on Monday 1 February 2021
Versus Arthritis is the UK's largest charity dedicated to supporting people with arthritis, we pride ourselves in cultivating a society that creates change and gives strength to over 10 million people living with arthritis and related conditions in the UK. We support world class research and advanced treatments that help achieve life-changing breakthroughs in our push to beat arthritis together. We are a community of people from carers to researchers, healthcare professionals, friends, parents and fundraisers. We are all united in our ambition to ensure that one day, no one will have to live with the pain, fatigue and isolation that arthritis causes.
Department: Planning and Operations
We are looking for an ambitious, self-motivated Head of Governance who will be individual who be at the heart of ensuring accountability and compliance across the charity. You will be responsible for running our Board and Trustee support, regulatory compliance, our audit and risk management, legal and safeguarding functions. Working in partnership with different stakeholders at all levels, demonstrating strong skills in networking and influencing with the ability to challenge and drive momentum at senior leadership level and have successful experience of building, leading, managing and developing high performing teams.
Head of Governance have experience of successfully leading at a senior level in Governance or as a Company Secretary, have strong written and oral communication skills, be able to communicate effectively and authoritatively to a diverse audience and be able to explain complex regulatory legislation and principles.
Reporting into the Director of Planning and Operations, your team will include the Governance Manager, three Corporate Services Officers, Safeguarding Lead, Legal Counsel and the Governance Risk and Compliance Lead
To be successful in the role, you will have
- High level of empathy and focus on people with arthritis; and an appreciation of how Versus Arthritis’ governance needs to be accountable across diverse communities
- Experience of successfully leading at a senior level in Governance or as Company Secretary in a charity or similar environment; able to demonstrate having built a diverse and productive trustee environment
- Knowledge of charity and company legislative, regulatory and governance landscape, both current and future requirements
- Understanding of both the technicalities and the principles of safeguarding, being able to build a culture where the risks, preventative actions and confidence to act are all strong
- Good working knowledge of and enthusiasm for the processes and potential of policy and compliance frameworks including audit
How to apply
To apply you MUST submit:
- A concise, up-to-date CV
- along with a completed supporting statement demonstrating how you meet the key requirements set out in the job description and person specification
Closing Date: 12:00 mid-day on Monday 1 February 2021
We advise candidates to apply early as we reserve the right to close applications ahead of this date. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews to be held on Thursday 11 February 2021 via Microsoft Teams
Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions the postholder will initially be working from home and thereafter based at one of our national offices
- Additional info: Job description (118kb) (the link will open in a new window)