Company Secretary - Specialist Corporate Governance
Vistra Corporate Law is looking to recruit an experienced and qualified Company Secretary to join the Specialist Corporate Governance team due to continued business growth. The role would ideally be based out of our Bristol office, but we may consider London.
Due to the client facing nature of the role – only candidates already residing in the UK will be considered – Bristol, Reading or London.
The role is full-time, and permanent.
- Provide company secretarial, corporate governance and board support services to a portfolio of listed, regulated and larger companies, ensuring that their needs are interpreted precisely and responded to correctly and that the client is kept regularly informed of progress and costs.
- Providing high quality board, committee and shareholder meeting support to clients, including coordinating agendas and papers, attending board, committee and general meetings throughout the UK, taking accurate and comprehensive minutes and circulating for review.
- Advise on corporate governance review projects, directors’ duties training, board effectiveness reviews, other topical governance projects relevant to Vistra’s domestic and international clients (e.g. ESG agenda).
Client care and business development
- Work closely with other members of the Specialist Corporate Governance department in identifying areas where current systems and services can be developed.
- Work closely with clients, identifying ways in which we can develop the relationship and ensure client retention.
- Identify, promote and develop commercial opportunities wherever possible and to keep clients informed of new products, services and changes in legislation.
- Play a support role in the business development, supporting marketing, promotional and sales initiatives as appropriate.
- Contribute to corporate governance updates for clients and thought leadership in the form of blogs and articles.
Operational and regulatory compliance
- Be fully conversant with the relevant systems, procedures and services of both the Specialist Corporate Governance department and Vistra Corporate Law (VCL) as a whole and to work with colleagues to ensure that the work processes of the Specialist Corporate Governance department are carried out efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure that all completed work is promptly invoiced, raising interim invoices as appropriate.
- Ensure that files are compliant with current money laundering regulations, conduct ongoing client contact to ensure that the customer due diligence information requested is received within a reasonable time frame.
- Maintain systems that enable us to manage and control customer due diligence activity and reporting all concerns in respect of suspicion of money laundering activity to the Compliance Officer.
- Proactively work to develop and embed strong client relationships through outstanding client service; refer any complaints or lapses in service or standards to the appropriate manager immediately.
- Perform ad-hoc requests at the request of the Head of Specialist Corporate Governance.
Relevant experience and qualifications:
- Educated to degree level, ICSA qualified (or nearly qualified) and preferably with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in the company secretarial field.
- Very high level of confidence and competence to deliver responsibilities outlined above, often operating independently, at board and board level meetings throughout the UK.
- Experience of company secretarial transactions, filing and notification requirements and using company secretarial software.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Personable and enthusiastic team player, with a confident, professional and commercial outlook.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Capable of working under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Provide outstanding service as a proactive adviser on board and board meeting procedures, minute-taker, inspiring confidence in Vistra’s client service in board directors and senior managers.
- Experience in providing services to clients, both in person, in writing and by telephone.