Non-Executive Director - Houlton Church of England Multi Academy Trust
Houlton Church of England Multi Academy Trust
Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Rugby? Houlton CofE Multi Academy Trust seeks three non-executive directors/ trustees to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
A newly-forming academy trust based in Houlton, an urban extension of Rugby in the West Midlands, Houlton CofE Multi Academy Trust aspires to be a four-school trust, comprising both Secondary and Primary schools.
With significant growth of the local environs, there is anticipated to be a large increase in the demand for school places over the coming period. The trust aims to meet this need, while simultaneously growing and enhancing its offering. Three candidates are sought, with prior experience in trustee/ non-executive roles; one will ideally possess expertise in Growth Management, one with HR expertise, while a third will demonstrate knowledge, skills and experience in Property and Estates Management. Applicants of all faiths and of none are welcomed. Board meetings, while initially held via remote/virtual means, will be held at St Gabriel's CofE Academy, Houlton Way, Houlton, CV23 1AN.
The board seeks three business leaders with expertise in
- non-executive/ trustee and
- corporate governance and
- growth management or
- HR or
- real estate/ property
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Post Covid recovery;
- Educational standards - secure high-quality provision of education in St Gabriel's CofE Academy, recognised at inspection;
- Growth – sustainable growth of St Gabriel's CofE Academy as it adds additional services and moves to a two-form-of-entry school in line with the growth of the local development;
- Capacity - build sufficient capacity to expand the trust when the right opportunities arise, maintaining identity and culture.
Over the longer term, Houlton CofE MAT aims to establish a high-quality provision where communities are nurtured and flourish. In the future, the board has plans to grow the trust and establish further schools building on the success of St Gabriel's. The board has aspirations to submit a Free School bid in due course, utilising the knowledge and skills developed over the initial period of the trust forming.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our Ambassadors alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please send a copy of your CV and details of your location to us, either through this website or directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities.
We strongly recommend applying as early as you can to have the best possible chance of being considered as we may change the closing date if we have received sufficient applications.