Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in North Nottinghamshire? Kirkby College seeks two new non-executives/directors to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Kirkby College converted to academy status in 2012 when it had been judged Good by Ofsted. The college went through a period of change and in January 2018 inspectors deemed the school required special measures as performance had slipped considerably. The trust board and leaders realized that it needed greater capacity to secure lasting improvement and the college now has a formal partnership with a neighbouring trust to provide school improvement support. Evidence suggests this is effective and the new headteacher and his team are now making a difference.
It is hoped that the new trustees will add further capacity to the existing board and help steer the College to merge with a neighbouring trust. The College is working closely with the Regional Schools Commissioner to help secure its future.
The board seeks two business leaders with expertise in
- corporate governance
- previous NED/trustee experience
- audit or
- real estate/property/facilities management
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- To ensure the quality of educational provision and sustain the trajectory of improvement
- To secure the College’s future by joining another trust or securing a long-term strategic partner.
- To maintain close scrutiny and oversight of the College’s finances, property and the health and welfare of the students and staff
The Board meets three times a year (autumn, spring and summer) and meetings start at 5pm on Wednesdays and last for up to 2 hours. Successful candidates will also be invited to join one of the two subcommittees (Finance & General Purposes or Strategic Development).
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please send a copy of your CV and details of your location to us, either through this website or directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities.
We strongly recommend applying as early as you can to have the best possible chance of being considered as we may change the closing date if we have received sufficient applications.