Non Executive Director - Ethos Academy Trust
Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Kirklees? Ethos Academy Trust seeks two non-executives/directors to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Ethos Academy Trust specialises in assessing, supporting and meeting the needs of children with wide ranging social, emotional and mental health (SEMH) difficulties; these young people sometimes find it difficult to work in ordinary mainstream schools.
The trust officially launched in September 2018 with three existing Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) all based within Kirklees. The three units have a strong and longstanding track record of providing high-quality support to children and schools across both primary and secondary sectors. The majority of pupils return successfully to mainstream schools following their support or placement.
The three PRUs within Ethos Multi Academy Trust work closely with Kirklees Local Authority and also deliver education to pupils who are unable to attend school for medical reasons. This involves partnership approaches with mainstream schools and the delivery of personalised packages of education in a variety of settings including pupils' homes, hospitals, libraries and other community centres.
The board seeks two business leaders with expertise in
- human resources and
- change management or
- real estate/property
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Strategically guide, support and challenge the team to develop a ‘mixed MAT’ comprising both specialist and mainstream settings. This is likely to involve building further capacity and developing commercial opportunities to develop the service to partner schools and academies.
- As the Trust grows and develops, the introduction and development of a strong People Strategy is essential from the perspective of attracting, developing and retaining staff making an exceptional contribution to the Trust.
Over the next five years the trust aspires to grow to a maximum of ten schools, containing a mixture of mainstream and special schools / alternative provisions within a 45 minute radius of Kirklees.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please send a copy of your CV and details of your location to us, either through this website or directly to email@example.com. A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities.
We strongly recommend applying as early as you can to have the best possible chance of being considered as we may change the closing date if we have received sufficient applications.