Non-executive director - Learning without Limits Academy Trust
Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Leicester? Learning without Limits Academy Trust (LwLAT) seeks two new non-executive directors to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
This is a multi-academy trust that formed in 2016, to serve the communities of Leicester City and the surrounding areas. Originally born out of Babington Academy in the North-West of Leicester, the trust has two primary and two secondary schools, with Leicester Metropolitan Academy (LMA) - a new free school - which will open in new accommodation in 2021 when it admits Year 7 pupils for the first time. The trust also supports South Wigston High School which legally sits separate to the trust. Discussions are underway with a view for South Wigston High School to possibly join the trust at some stage in the future.
The majority of the students served by the LwLAT are from disadvantaged backgrounds, they are also from families with a range of ethnicities. Some of the academies within the trust have a strong track record of helping disadvantaged students to perform well and these strategies are shared across the trust in order to improve performance. The trust serves 3,000 pupils; it has 550 staff and a budget of £17m.
The board seeks business leaders with expertise in
- Legal/Compliance or
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Ensuring the longer-term financial sustainability of the trust through development of a longer-term financial strategy and in ensuring all its schools are full.
- Improving educational outcomes particularly at secondary school level through a new school improvement strategy and strengthened resources and support to underpin this.
- Supporting the trust to deliver on plans for a new free school due to open in September 2021 and to market the unique offer of this new school.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month. The LwALT board meets four times a year (twice in the autumn term and once in the spring and summer terms). Meetings tend to start at 5 or 5:30pm but are not fixed on one particular day.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
If you are interested in this role, please send a copy of your CV and details of your location to us, either through this website or directly to email@example.com
A full trust specification is available at www.academyambassadors.org.