Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Shropshire? Empower Trust seeks a non-executive director / trustee to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Empower Trust, based in North Shropshire, seeks to recruit a new board member, bringing experience in strategy development and, in particular, growth management in a complex organisation. In addition to securing financial stability, the trust aims to expand – potentially up to ten schools in total - within two years. Board meetings are held at Empower Trust, Hadnall, North Shropshire. Applicants of all faiths and of none are welcome to apply.
The board seeks a business leader with expertise in
- Corporate Governance and
- Growth Management and
- Legal/ Compliance or
- Business Development or
- Succession Planning
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Ensuring the trust and academies therein are financially sustainable and operate within balanced budgets;
- Ensuring all academies improve academically so that overall trust performance is at least in line with national averages;
- Ensuring the embedding of the new trust management information and financial systems, ensuring academies operate efficiently and effectively so academy leaders can spend their time supporting and improving the quality of education provided for children.
Over the medium-term, the trust aims to deliver its vision and potentially expand up to ten schools within two years.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please visit www.academyambassadors.org for more information on the role - a full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/empower-trust