At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
The Company Secretarial team provides support to a variety of departments on company secretarial matters for listed and unlisted entities for over 700 companies. The team is responsible for the management of both private and listed companies, organising, attending and minuting Board meetings, upkeep of the company statutory records, involvement in ad hoc projects, ensuring that relevant documents are filed with Companies House within statutory deadlines and timely announcements made to relevant authorities in respect the listed companies.
The role sits within the Governance team, manged by the legal function, which assists Octopus to manage venture capital trusts, private companies, LPs, LLPs, GP across the Octopus Group portfolio and provides company secretarial and governance support across those entities.
Outline of responsibilities
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring effective servicing of a number of company boards and committees by arranging associated meetings, drafting agendas and collation and creation of board packs
- Organising annual and extraordinary general meetings
- Attending and minuting board meetings where required
- Arranging and recording ad hoc board approvals
- Filing statutory accounts including maintaining a timetable, liaising with the Finance Department and auditors, reviewing draft accounts, arranging board approvals, director signatures and timely filing with Companies House
- Monitoring and assisting with the filing of confirmation statements for the portfolio
- Managing the regular liquidity event procedures which includes; reducing companies capital, attending project meetings, preparing capital reduction documentation and holding board meetings for multiple companies
- Assisting the Company Secretaries with other ad hoc tasks as required including director changes, allotments, company acquisitions, new company incorporations, share transfers etc. and the required Companies House filings and such other duties as may be allocated
- Ensuring the maintenance and timely update of statutory records and registers (using Blueprint software where appropriate)
- Mentor, supervise and assist the company secretarial assistants
- Assisting on the completions and company secretariat requirements for transactions including mergers, acquisitions and sales
- Undertaking company secretarial practice obligations (statutory filings, etc)
- Providing advice on company secretarial matters including processes, statutory requirements, corporate governance matters, procedures.
- Reviewing, updating and maintaining certain processes and procedures where there is nominated responsibility for such
- Previous experience of attending and minuting board meetings essential
- Experience in executing the secretariat requirements for corporate transactions/acquisitions/sales/mergers
- ICSA qualified or part-qualified (at a minimum)
- Good working knowledge of Blueprint
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.