The Economist was first published in 1843 and is valued by its customers for its world-class insights and rigorous analysis. Headquartered in London, The Economist Group today has offices and people across the globe and a complex group structure which now creates and distribute a compelling view of the world over multiple platforms, including print, web and digital editions, plus events.
Reporting to the General Counsel & Company Secretary, this ‘hands on’ role will take responsibility for a broad range of work in providing a comprehensive company secretarial service to The Economist Group. Responsibilities will include statutory compliance, shareholder and overseas liaison, day-to-day management of the employee share scheme and dealing with stakeholder and shareholder issues as well as assistance in preparing the annual report, organising of the AGM and special projects including M&A.
Role and responsibilities
- Fulfilling the UK statutory requirements for all UK group companies and maintaining records using Blueprint; drafting resolutions and minutes for subsidiary companies
- Incorporations and liquidations/strike-offs
- Liaison with agents to ensure compliance for all international subsidiaries and setting up of new local companies and/or branch offices
- Ensuring good corporate governance and adherence to the robust corporate governance framework
- Regular liaison and management of relationships with share registrars, directors and shareholders; facilitating the purchase/sale of shares and assisting with share transfers
- Drafting documentation and providing information for the annual and interim reports
- Providing some board support services for select subsidiaries and the Group’s two charities
- Managing the ESOP (employee share scheme), Including drafting documentation and communications to staff and managing the process for the purchase and sale of Company shares
- Special projects, including reorganisations, acquisitions and disposals
Experience and qualifications
- Qualified Chartered Secretary (ACIS)
- A strong technical background of statutory compliance for a group of companies or portfolio of client companies
Personal qualities and behaviours
- A detailed approach with high level of accuracy
- Diligent, dedicated and trustworthy
- Positive attitude and energy with a ‘can do’ approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to forge strong working relationships across the business
The Core Partnership has been exclusively retained by The Economist Group on this assignment and all direct and third party CVs will be forwarded to The Core Partnership.
Reference Number: 1428