London, 19 September 2018 – ICSA: The Governance Institute is holding a technology conference on 28 September, which seeks to improve the level of technological expertise in UK boardrooms. Addressing the theme of ‘Futureproofing the board’, the conference aims to help boards to acquire the skills needed to take their organisations forward in the digital age.
“Technology is changing the way that businesses operate and are governed at a faster pace than ever before. From blockchain to automation in the workplace, companies are faced by an increasing array of technological advancements that can reduce costs, improve productivity and offer a competitive edge. These benefits are not without risks, however. Organisations need boards capable of leading change and creating strategies that will ensure their long-term success, but many boards lack the technological expertise to do so. This conference aims to address that,” says Peter Swabey, Policy and Research Director at ICSA: The Governance Institute.
Taking place at the Hallam Conference Centre in central London, and chaired by Mark Child, Executive Managing Director at Xcina Consulting, the conference will focus on the following areas:
- Business agility: Cerys Hearsey, Managing Director, Post*Shift Consulting, will examine the agile methodology and consider what it takes to make it work to scale
- XBRL: Thomas Toomse-Smith, Project Director, The Financial Reporting Lab, will discuss XBRL technology and the benefits and challenges it poses for those who prepare company reports
- Blockchain: Anton Ruddenklau, Head of Digital & Innovation, Financial Services & Partner, KPMG, will consider the risks and benefits, as well as the regulatory and compliance issues the technology poses
- Cyber security: Dean Adams, Cyber Security Lead UK, CGI Group, will look at the role of the board in embedding an appropriate cyber security culture
- Tech expertise in the boardroom: Maggie McGhee, Director of Professional Insights at ACCA, will consider whether it is time for all organisations to have a technology expert at board level
- Automation: Peter Saunders, Partner, Deloitte LLP, will look at the skillset required to thrive in the workplace in the face of automation.
Duncan Smith, Director at iCompli will provide a closing keynote speech.
- Ends -
For further information, please contact Maria Brookes, Media Relations Manager:
+44 (0)20 7612 7072
+44 (0)7890 649 143
Notes to Editors:
- ICSA: The Governance Institute is the professional body for governance. We have members in all sectors and are required by our Royal Charter to lead ‘effective governance and efficient administration of commerce, industry and public affairs’. With over 125 years’ experience, we work with regulators and policy makers to champion high standards of governance and provide qualifications, training and guidance. Website: www.icsa.org.uk
- The full conference programme can be viewed at www.icsa.org.uk/techconf18