Guernsey, 23 November 2018 – Winners of ICSA: The Governance Institute’s 2018 ICSA Guernsey Awards, which recognise the achievements of the island’s governance professionals and businesses in terms of good governance, celebrated their successes at a glittering awards dinner at The Old Government House Hotel on Friday, 9 November 2018.
The awards saw Praxis Fund Services Limited’s Matt Falla crowned winner of the coveted Company Secretary of the Year spot. Presented his award by Mr Nasri El-Sayegh, Associate Director of Board Intelligence, sponsor of the Company Secretary of the Year award category, Mr Falla said:
“It’s an honour to receive the prestigious award of Company Secretary of the Year. The support from colleagues, clients and peers has been overwhelming, and to be recognised with this award is a testament to Praxis’ commitment to maintaining the highest standards of governance as we navigate the complex and ever changing legal and regulatory environments on behalf of our clients.”
Other winners on the night were as follows:
- Corporate Services Team of the Year: Carey Commercial
Mr Robin Bishop, Director of Perivan, which sponsored the award, commended Carey for the proactive, agile and swift service that it provides to a diverse client base of both listed and private companies;
- Corporate Services Officer of the Year: Gwenllian Sanders from Intertrust
Mr Raj Sehmi of sponsor Brainloop praised Gwenllian for her drive and keenness to implement tailored procedures and encourage collaborative working to ensure a consistent level of service to clients;
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Award: Angela Law, Intertrust
Mr Simon Osborne, Chief Executive of the ICSA: The Governance Institute, who presented the award, was impressed with the robust processes and procedures that Angela’s team has introduced to ensure that clients remain compliant with the myriad of regulations facing the whole of the business; and
- The One to Watch: Gwendolyn Norman, Praxis Fund Services
She was presented her award by Sarah Colley, Director of First Intuition, which sponsored this category.
ICSA student success was also celebrated at the awards, with academic accomplishments feted in the following areas:
- International Finance and Administration (IFA) qualifications (June 2018 exam)
ICSA prize for best IFA Level 4 Core Modules mark internationally – Evie Page
ICSA prize for best IFA Level 4 Accounting mark internationally – Rebecca Gauvain
ICSA prize for best IFA Level 4 Investment mark internationally – Jodie Finigan
ICSA prize for best IFA Level 5 Fund Administration mark internationally – Jodie Martel
- IFA qualifications (November 2018 exam)
ICSA prize for best IFA Level 4 Accounting mark internationally – Jodie Finigan
ICSA prize for best IFA Level 4 Core Modules mark internationally – Gemma Woods
Rowena Robert, Managing Director of BPP Guernsey, which sponsored the student awards, presented awards to Gemma Woods and Rebecca Gauvain, both of whom were in attendance on the night.
Sara Bourne, ICSA Guernsey Branch Chair, commented: ‘The number of nominations for the awards, all of which were of a very high standard, has continued to grow and, once again, the judges’ had a very difficult task in selecting the winners. Guernsey is a centre of excellence for corporate governance as evidenced by the fact that Guernsey is home to the largest number of companies listed on the London Stock Exchange outside the UK. In order to maintain this position, the quality of service and level of expertise that Guernsey’s governance professionals provides is vital. We are delighted to recognise the accomplishments of our members and students with these awards.’
- Ends -
For further information, please contact Sara Bourne, ICSA Guernsey Branch Chair:
+44 (0)1481 737245
Maria Brookes, Media Relations Manager:
+44 (0)20 7612 7072
+44 (0)7890 649 143
Notes to Editors:
- ICSA: The Governance Institute is the professional body for governance. We have members in all sectors and are required by our Royal Charter to lead ‘effective governance and efficient administration of commerce, industry and public affairs’. With over 125 years’ experience, we work with regulators and policy makers to champion high standards of governance and provide qualifications, training and guidance. Website: www.icsa.org.uk
- ICSA Guernsey branch represents the interests of over 500 members and students in the Bailiwick. Chartered status is conferred on those with sufficient and relevant experience who have passed ICSA’s Chartered Secretaries Qualifying Scheme or an ICSA Accredited Master’s Degree. For those looking for a successful career in the offshore financial services sector, ICSA offers a suite of qualifications in International Finance and Administration.
- Photos of the winners are available from email@example.com